Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Introduction to the "Nevada Girl"

Hello! My name is Christina Newcomb. I am a junior, Advertising student, pursuing my minor in Human Relations and sometimes I am sometimes known as the girl from Nevada.

"Nevada? How'd you come to Oklahoma?"

FAQ:
Have you seen the show Reno 911?
No I have not. I am pretty sure it is filmed in LA.
Did you go to Vegas every weekend?
No.
Downtown Reno, Nevada

I grew up in The Biggest Little City, in Reno. It was an incredible place to grow up because it has a little bit of everything. It has the city feel, with a cute little downtown area. It has the outdoors, with Lake Tahoe nearly 30 minutes away. San Francisco is only 4 hours away, and places like Oregon and others are not too far either. A lot of my childhood was spent taking little road trips to Oregon and California to see family. I grew up loving the mountains and everything outdoors.

As I got older, my parents always pushed my two brothers and I to go outside our comfort zone, whether it was academics, jobs or friendships. They really pushed this idea when we had a rule of not being allowed to go to college in-state. My oldest brother went to school in California, while my other brother went to school in Idaho. When I started my senior year, I didn't know where I wanted to go. What I did know, was that I wanted to go somewhere different than Reno. I applied to over 20 schools and through my college search, Alabama was my number one choice. An friend from high school who attended OU heard of my interest in Alabama, and immediately contacted me. She took me out to coffee and convinced me to apply to the University of Oklahoma. Once I got into both, I took a campus tour and fell in love with OU. The beauty of campus, the people and the atmosphere it provides is unlike any other university. Although I can be known as "the girl from Nevada", it is fun to share stories and differences of the West Coast. I have brought friends home with me so they can see how unique and fun it is.

I have loved every second of my time at OU. It has challenged me in the way that I wanted when looking at colleges and I have met the most incredible people here. It has changed my perspectives and tested the person I am. If I could go back and do it again, I would chose OU every time, regardless of the results of the National Championship.

Boomer Sooner


4 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I think it's awesome that you had the rule of choosing an out of state college. When I was in high school I never wanted to attend in state. I am from Idaho, so not super far from Nevada. I also love anything and everything outdoors. The mountains will always be my home. I have also taken a road trip to Oregon to go camping at a festival. It was gorgeous there and I loved it. Good luck with all your classes this semester.
    -Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, glad you are loving Oklahoma. I have lived here all my life. I have never been to Nevada. Haven't traveled out west much at all. I've been east, but New Mexico is the farthest I have been west. I hope to visit Nevada and some of the other western states someday soon. I think it's great that your family had the rule of not going to college in state. Gives you the chance to stretch your wings. You are less likely to depend on family in hard times and learn to stand on your own. Good luck this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christina! It’s so great to have another advertising major in this class! I’m honestly surprised we’ve never had a class together since all of the classes are pretty small. I’m sure it was great living in a town where there were so many cool cities close by for you to travel to. It must have taken a lot of courage to go to school so far from home. You definitely made the right choice though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great that you found the right school for you, Christina! Excellent! I felt the same way about Berkeley: I had such a great time as an undergraduate that when I decided almost 10 years later to go to graduate school, that's where I ended up going again. It was cool being at Berkeley in the 1980s and then again in the 1990s. Different... but I loved it both times. It sounds like you will be able to remember OU fondly all your life! Berkeley is definitely a place I will never forget. :-)

    ReplyDelete