Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2: Reading Diary: Aesop for Children



Reading Diary A: Aesop for Children

Here are my favorite stories (with links) from Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo WinterAfter doing my first Storytelling assignment, I thoroughly enjoyed looking through the Aesop for Children Fables. When given the option, I chose it again so I got to read through more fables. 

The Wolf and the Kid
I loved this story because it started as a sad, almost scary story.  I thought the goat was going to be eaten. It ended up being okay because the goat convinced the wolf to sing a tune before he became his feast. this ended up saving the it's life. The moral of the story "Do not let anything turn you from your purpose." On both ends, the goat could've stuck with his heard and the wolf could've stuck with his original eating plan. 

THE YOUNG CRAB AND HIS MOTHER

"Do not tell others how to act unless you can set a good example."
 I enjoy the lessons of these fables. Although they are for children they are slightly on the negative side. This story shows a mom judging her son for not being able to walk straight. When she tries to do it, she is not able to either. These are all important lessons, but the way they are portrayed are funny because it has a negative connotation when I read it.

The Young Crab and His Mother 

Do not attempt too much at once.

Not only was this a cute story, but this is a story that everyone can identify with. It is a great metaphor of biting off more than you can chew. In this case, it's trying to take too many filberts from the jar.  The mom reminds to "be satisfied with half the nuts you have taken and you will easily get your hand out. Then perhaps you may have some more filberts some other time." I can hear my mom saying this about certain things in my life, like my work and school schedule.

THE PLANE TREE

This story reminded me a little bit of the Giving Tree, especially the image that went with this story. There is always something to be grateful for. Again. I found it kind of funny that the story had a negative connotation with how it was portrayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment