Thursday, January 21, 2016

Storybook Favorites


While browsing the archive of storybooks, I was just scrolling to see which one would catch my eye. I first realized the importance of the title. The title is always the first thing that will catch the reader. I skimmed over "Cupid on Trial". I immediately laughed because my friends and I were discussing earlier today what our Valentine's Day plans would be while our other friends go on dates with their significant others.


I imagined Cupid being on Trial for being the god of love and attraction, and just giggled. The story did not disappoint. I loved the way they used different gods and goddesses. My favorite part was the perspective that it was told. I imagined me being that person sitting on the couch having the same thoughts and reactions. It was an amazing way to turn the idea of "women sulking on their couch on February 14" into a positive, light-hearted story. 
"I also help people find their true love. I know many people are upset that I have not made them fall in love yet but a lot of those people are just not ready. They may think they are ready but they are still lingering over a past lust or are not quite mature for true love. Yes, that includes you."


The second article that caught my eye was Live On University Legends. During my freshman and sophomore year I worked as an OU Tour Guide. I learned of all of these legends and spooky stories. It was refreshing to hear of them told from the person themselves. I love how she put them all together as if they are walking around on campus, as I type this story in Gaylord. Although slightly spooky, the story was a great reminder to enjoy time as a student because it is fleeting. 



My next favorite was a cute, modern twist of Cinderella. The Latest and Greatest of Cinderella was an incredible storybook and extremely entertaining. I loved how they worked E!News into it, to give it a modern flare. It was a fun way to hear of legends and stories told in a different way.  The story of Rhodopis in the original Cinderella version was a great opening and made me excited to read the rest of the articles. Then bringing in the story of the Broken Pitcher was brilliant.





No comments:

Post a Comment